As a life coach who helps others in achieving their goals, you'd think that living my own would be simple. Yet, yes, there are still areas in my own life where I want to improve, feel better and make more positive and empowering choices. Moving my body is one of them.
I am not sure why today was the day. Maybe it's being inspired by witnessing my husband, who in just three weeks, has gone from playing hockey a couple times a month to getting up at 5:30 a.m. to exercise at least three days a week. So, while he was out running for the second day in a row, I was lying in bed (awake) thinking about how I *could* get up and do 20 minutes of pilates--but didn't.
Whatever the reason, today is the day! And I invite the thousands of you reading this (ha!) to join me. Here are the guidelines I am going by:
- Take it one day at a time.
- Shoot for 30 minutes or more.
- Plan how and when you will move your body the night before.
- Stick with the plan, but don't beat yourself up if you have to alter it (i.e. instead of a walk in the morning because it was raining, I danced with the kids before bed).
- Be creative and choose ways to move your body that you enjoy (jump rope, ride your bike, dance in the living room, do sit-ups while watching T.V., etc.).
- Track your progress to help you stay motivated.