Wednesday, January 9, 2008

What's Your Word for the Year

I am embarrassed that it has been nearly a month since my last post, especially when my plan was to write once a week at the very least.

However, I will say that part of the reason that I've been MIA is because I took some of my own Tips for Calming the Chaos of the Season to heart. I slowed down, took some deep breaths, spent time connecting with my family, said "no" to a few things (like writing for this blog), and enjoyed the spirit of the holiday season.

Now we are into the second week of 2008 and I am eager and excited for all that is in store!

A couple days before the New Year, I took a few minutes of peace-and-quiet to ask myself what one word would describe the coming year.

What first came to my mind was "growth". I tried to push it aside, thinking that wasn't the word I wanted. I asked again. "Growth". Again and again this word kept popping into my mind. Now it's starting to "grow" on me.

What does this mean? I am not so sure. I am hopeful that this year is one of business growth, personal growth, community growth, family growth, and spiritual growth. What that all looks like, we'll see at the end of 2008!

What's your word for the year? Try this exercise and see what comes up.
  1. Find a quiet place without any outside distractions.
  2. Close your eyes, breathe deeply a few times, clear your mind, and ask yourself what your word for the year is.
  3. See what first comes to mind. Try not to filter it.
  4. Sit with it for a few minutes and see how it feels.
  5. Then take a few minutes to write down your word, what thoughts come to mind about it, how it makes you feel, and what you think it may mean.
  6. Be aware how this word shows up for you as you go through the next year.
Feel like sharing? Post a comment with your Word for the Year!

No comments: